Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mommom's Chicken and Dumplin's

I forgot to take a picture... yet again. Oh well. Just imagine these in all their yummy deliciousness.

This is adapted from my grandma's recipe.


Boil your chicken carcass that is leftover from another meal to make stock. Pick off all the meat you can and throw back in the stock.

Mix in a large bowl:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt (I use Celtic Sea Salt)
Lots of pepper (I don't measure, but about thirty shakes from my shaker... yeah, it's a lot)
2 tsp. baking powder (use aluminum free kind!)
1/2 cup light flavored oil (I use light olive oil, but you could use veggie or canola oil if you prefer)
1 1/3 cups milk

Stir to make dough. Then either roll it out (it doesn't have to be pretty) and cut into small squares or if you are cooking one handed (as I often am) you can pinch off a little and smoosh it flat between your fingers. The point is that it needs to be pretty flat, not a big ball. Drop squares into boiling stock and boil for 25 minutes. You may want to add more salt and pepper to the soup depending on taste. Let cool and serve!

If somebody tries this let me know! I'm sure you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment