Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not in the Kitchen-- Bacon Grease

I know bacon grease is not the absolute healthiest thing in the world to eat, but when you cook bacon (and nitrate free bacon is EXPENSIVE), there's a lot of grease left to throw away. I have been trying new ways to use it up. Here are two:

~Use it in muffins. Prepare a basic muffin recipe (I like the one in this book), but substitute bacon grease for the oil. This makes a really savory muffin that hubby loves (I can't eat more than one. They are really strong tasting.).

~Season green beans. We have been using fresh or frozen green beans and I think that they are kind of bland. But if you boil or steam them and then saute some chopped onions in bacon grease and stir in the green beans, they are absolutely delicious!

How do YOU use up leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment