Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stepping Away From the Computer

I have been making an effort to step away from the computer more. Too often I would put Doodlebug in front of the TV so I could have a "break"; aka computer time. No more. It's not like I was using the computer an unholy amount, but that I needed to step back and invest that time in real life.

A week or so ago I purposed to only use the computer when Doodlebug was asleep. Not only that, but I would have Bible-reading time before I got on the computer. I thought that there was no way I would have time to do everything I wanted to do online in just the short time that is naptime, especially if I had to read my Bible first. I thought I would have to cut some things out.

But I haven't. As I have used my time to invest in my family, God has multiplied my "me time". I have been able to (somewhat) maintain my blog, keep up on my reading and forums, as well as get some other things done. Yesterday I was able to take a nap in peace, knowing that I didn't have to get on the computer. I would "catch up" later.

Doodlebug is definitely more important to me. Do I still sometimes want to sneak a peak at the computer to see if someone left a comment on my blog or something? Of course. But it goes off when she wakes up from nap and no matter what it's not coming back on. I don't miss it, and I wouldn't trade those moments with her for anything in the world.

In the end, I just have to remember this: I don't want my daughter to grow up and remember my face glowing in the light of the laptop. I want my daughter to remember my face glowing with the light of life.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Awesome! You are smart to see what has true value.

    It's great that you have committed your time in this way and been blessed with extra time to do what you like too.

    ReplyDelete